Friday, July 3, 2009

My Wednesday thru Friday

First, thanks to all of you for your comments, prayers, and thoughts. I have not updated in a while because well, quite frankly, I'm exhausted! Forgive the brief synopsis, but it's the most efficient way of keeping everyone informed.

Wednesday--discharged, flew home with my brother, arrived at mom's at 10:30 and went to sleep. I am on Percacet, Hydrocodone for pain which helps. The most pain is from the back incision site which runs three inches long and a quarter inch wide from L1 to L2 vertebral space.

Thursday--slept in till around 11. Feel tired and groggy from the meds. Starting to use the walker more efficiently, I refuse to sit in the wheelchair anymore, pointless and backwards in my mind. Took some laps around the house on the walker, took a nap. Went to first outpatient PT session at 5:30pm. PT folks glad to see me. Got baseline measurements and began focusing on walking properly with straighter, more fluid gait pattern and heel-toe contact synergystic movements. This is my homework for the weekend.

Generally, I tire easily, my head is groggy and my back pain is present always. There is a large degree of numbness in my legs which I am told will slowly dissipate over time.

All being said, I feel I am right on track, considering today is my 4th day out of bed, and I look forward to the sun coming out here in Buffalo so I can get outslide and walk. The limited space of my mom's living room will surely start to leave tred marks if I can't get out soon!! :)

I feel all the love and support of family, friends, even some new followers who I assume are potential SDR candidates.

Till next time...


Ken

7 comments:

Mary said...

Let me know when you venture out down the street! I'll be waiting on the porch with a cool drink for you!

Ken said...

That'll be a while. Right now I can go maybe 100 ft without needing a rest! LOL! :) THANKS!!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the hard work! Sending positive thoughts your way. You da man! Paula : )

Anonymous said...

hey ken...so your mom gets a new rug or gets it cleaned....when Fatehr announced that you were at 7:30 mass....you got an awe....from the crowd....keep up the good work....be nic eto your nurse fran!! soemtimes its harder to be the nurse than the patient...i know from experience...
God Bless...
peace
barb and terry S.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog, Ken! I have spastic diplegic CP too. I hope you will also put some "before" and "after" videos soon and will keep us updated. Btw, is Marty from W. Seneca, NY the Marty who left a message on SLCH's SDR Family Message board on 2/22/05?

Kat

Ken said...

Kat, yes that is the Marty! He has been great to talk to this past yr and I'm sure will help you as well. Being through it himself, his insight has been invaluable! Feel free to contact him!!

Anonymous said...

I did;) Thanks and all the best!

Kat