Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Latest

So, as expected, this is when the real work begins, in daily rehab. My legs are still numb at this point, which has been described as "normal, lasting several weeks to months" (what an encouraging timeline, eh?) I still feel very unsteady on my feet, without the walker. It has only been one week since discharge, but I would have liked to have seen more noticeable improvements as several of my SDR patients have been back to work within 1 month of surgery. I definitely feel the weakness in the muscles as expected, especially my quads, hamstrings, and calves. I especially feel muscle sorenes at night, which I find odd, since in my mind, I'm not doing that much in the day. Alas, new muscles must be working probably for their first time, so I can see the logic in that, I suppose. PT has been helpful, although I only have had three appointments so far. This is the point where my innate impatience starts to get the best of me. I am anxiously awaiting the numbness to stop and the walking to become more independent ASAP. However, I can hear all the cliche' responses of "It's only been a week, give it time." And I will since my ultimate goal of returning to work is still 8 weeks away. That's all for now!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

what the hell Ken!! just like i expect to lose the last 75 lbs in 4 weeks.... wldnt that be swell!!!
God Bless....be nice to your Mom...
keep up the good work...
barb and terry

Anonymous said...

Ken,
Prior to the surgery did you feel unsteady on your feet?
Matt

Ken said...

Matt, prior to surgery I was not unsteady on my feet, but the muscle spasticity was doing alot of the work that the muscles themselves should be doing. As a result, the body compensates, the muscles weaken, and much strain is put on low back and skeletal elements. This surgery eliminates the spasticity, restoring muscle balance, but the strength needs to be developed from square one. Therefore, now I am very unsteady on my feet until the proper strength is developed. In the long term this is the way to go. There is no benefit to muscle spasticity in the long run.

"Miss Lucy" said...

Ken,
It's all about recovery; physically, mentally and spiritually, in its time. I won't say any other cliche' just know that you are in my prayers.
Lucy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your update, Ken. Sending lots of love, prayers and hugs to you!
Aunt Kathy

Unknown said...

Hi Kenny! I love reading about your progress and am sooooooo
happy for you!!! Keep up the good work, take your pain meds and lots of naps!!! Love, Kathy Reddish

Anonymous said...

Hey Kennny!! So proud of you and the progress you are making. Was wondering if you felt like some company today. We could play cards, talk, laugh, anything you want!!! I could bring some freshly brewed sweet tea!! I'll call later if I don't hear from you!!

aincorvaia said...

Ken, Thinking of you and praying for your swift recovery. Hope you are getting as much pt as you want and can handle. Call if you need to bend an ear any time! I'm in the book. Amy

Unknown said...

Thank You Ken,
Your blog has been very helpful to my family. We are preparing our 13 year old son for surgery next week.
It has answered many of my questions and given use a timeline we can relate to him. Thank you for your honesty and bravery on this journey. Wish you all the best. CKS