Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Tuesday

Today was a big day with my physical therapist. She came to work with me right after the awful breakfast. With my great friend Tom cheering me on, we started off with more practice at getting out of the bed and pivoting into the wheelchair. The therapist wheeled me down to the end of the hallway to a set parallel bars. This was the first chance to work my newly revealed muscles....

With little assistance, I was able to stand up and walk by using those bars. My first few steps felt a little awkward, like I was using someone else's legs. My strides felt effortless and much more fluid than "normal". The physical therapist tested my dorsi flexion and was impressed with my new range of motion. After several boring trips up and down the parallel bars, I wanted to venture through the hallway with a walker.

My quest back to the room was approximately 150 feet, and I was determined to reach my destination. It took a few steps to get used to the aid of the walker, then gained momentum, like a semi bearing down the Grand Island bridge. The therapist wanted me to slow down and take a break, but I was a man on a mission. I made my final destination to the bed and earned a well deserved nap...

Later that afternoon, as my wonderful brother Mike came to visit me like he has every day, the therapist came in to see if I could make it past the final hospital hurdle.... The Stairs! We went to an office which had portable wooden steps. There were 3 small steps on one side, 2 larger steps on the other, with a small platform on top. With little help from the therapist, I was able to stand up and walk up the small steps, on the platform, and down the larger steps. Then, I turned around and walked up the larger steps, on the platform, and down the smaller steps. After a brief break, I did it again....

I was still energetic enough to get some more walking in. We walked down the hallway with the walker. It was about 100 feet. I took a little break in the wheelchair, then walked back to the starting point; racking up 350 total feet of mileage on my new legs today...

After receiving another terrible tray of food, Mike called the very genorous Heidi and Tom to bring a delicious chicken sandwich from Panera's. After dinner, we hung out and played a few games. Overall today has been very productive and promising for what the future has in store!

15 comments:

Mary said...

WOOHOO Kenny!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Kenny, I am following your journey and I am so thrilled for you I start to tear up when I read your latest progress reports. You are so brave, courageous, determined, I could go on and on. I am amazed at how much you can do ALREADY!!! God has BIG plans for you!!! You remain in my thoughts and prayers. Go Kenny, go Kenny!!!! Hugs, Kathy Reddish (you know...Mary Rozak's sister! My claim to fame!)

Anonymous said...

Yeaaaaaa Ken...glad to hear that you are doing so well...that truly is amazing. Good job. Love Gail

Theresa said...

Ken,
I bet you can hear Val and I shouting for you all the way back in Wheatfield! Congratulations on making such great progress on your first day of walking with your "new legs". Wishing you continued progress and healing.
Keep up the great work...you are an inspiration!
Love, Theresa and Val

Anonymous said...

Awesome...safe trip back to the buff.
your determination is inspiring...
God Bless...prayers are with you and your family and P.T. team here and in St Louis..
barb and terry

Anonymous said...

HI- Me again - after reading abt your progress yesterday again...it reminds me of your first days in school - I was talking to Barb Brumpton and she was telling me you wld run with your braces on in school and she wld say why are you doing that you are gonna hurt yourself and you wld look at her and say - because i can....
you will be walking without assistance soon Ken - because you can....what hope you give Dr. Parks next patients....thank you for sharing your journey with all of us
barb

"Miss Lucy" said...

Ken you are an inspiration to all. Tears of joy are flowing. You set your goals and you are succeeding. Thanks for sharing. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Woo! yay Kenny!!

<3 Melisa

Anonymous said...

That finish line is just ahead....we are there to lead you on....yiiippppeeeeee!!!!!!!! We all love ya!!!!!!!!!!

Janemarie said...

Wow!! Great work and only after a few days...love and prayers...Jane

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear of your progress so far! Now, don't to getting all Michael Scott on me by going to the top of the building telling people you can fly! I hope to see you soon back in Buff : ) Paula

Shawna said...

Ken, you are amazing! So young and determined...I bet you're surprising all the staff! Not all of us, we knew you'd kick butt! I'm so glad to hear of your progress! Always thinking of and praying for you! Can't wait to see you and your new legs!

andy ross said...

Sounds like you are doing phenomenal Ken. Can't wait to see you in action when you get back to Buffalo.

Anonymous said...

Kenny,

I am so happy for you! I can hear the freedom -- the release that you're experiencing with the energy that's now coursing through your "new" legs.

How exciting, inspiring, and humbling it is to see you becoming more free to be even more wonderful you! (if that's even possible... lol)

You go guy!

And thank you for sharing your story with us... you are generous to do so and the JOY is so satisfying!

Lots of love and prayers from Ron & me in Syracuse!

I am so grateful that you are in my life! God is sooooo good!

Hugs and Kisses!

Aunt Pam

aincorvaia said...

Hey Ken, Keeping tabs on you, impressed with your recovery and determination in PT. You're in my prayers! Amy I.