Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Moving Out

Well, tomorrow I am leaving my family's home and am making a go of it back at my place. I need to get a couple weeks of re-acclimating myself to independent living before work starts. I had assumed work was starting Sept 7 or 8, but realized it actualy is Sept 1 for staff so I have less time than I realized.

I am seeing gradual improvements in my muscle flexibility. However, much work is needed in strengthening, especially on my left side which has been extremely under-utilized my whole life.

The chronic back pain remains. I expect to request my MRI/Xray reports on Friday unless I hear from the neurologist beforehand. If nothing major shows up on those tests (which I expect), I will proceed with investigating injection therapies in addition to maintaining my daily physical therapy. A probable cause of this right side low back pain is the lack of strength on the left side. Basically, when I weight bear on the left, the right hip "hikes" up and over more to add the support to the left where strength is lacking. This constant compensation over the years, combined with my pelvic instability when I walk is the likely cause of the chronic pain and inflammantion of the back. Ligaments are stressed, loosened, and are unable to maintain the support needed by the pelvis.

Walking patterns are slowly getting better, yet feel so unnatural. I am no longer on the walker but will be most likely using a cane to add stability to the left side until the proper strength is achieved.

I will keep you posted when those imaging test reports come in.

As always, thanks to all you followers for your support and prayers!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

love ya ken..

Back pain said...

Hope your chronic pain recovers soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken
God Bless...you didnt warn us if you are back on the road - assume u r :-)....we are so proud of you!!
God Bless...take it as it comes
Love
terry and barb

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,

It certainly sounds like you've got a good long stretch ahead of you (what pun?).

The old song... "the ___ bone's connected to the ____ bone" comes to mind when looking at the causes & effects you're experiencing...

However slow your progress may seem, you ARE headed to a more pain-free productive life... ODAT!

You are loved and admired so much!

Congrats on moving back "home"... tears and cheers!

Aunt Pam

Mary said...

There have been a couple of "Ken sightings". Everyone agrees you look wonderful (you really do) and are taller!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken - how are ya doing at home on your own?...are you able to start school on time?
be safe and well
God Bless
Barb

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken I was curious if your posture has improved? Must be an amazing time for you. I hope the pain subsides soon.

Matt

Jeffy said...

Want to share my experience.

I did consulted with a doctor. Well he said, low back pain can be a result of cancer. That is one of the differential diagnoses that the doctors consider as health professionals. There are many potential causes of back pain, but one of the most common is pain of neuro-musculoskeletal origin, of which a disc protrusion is. There are specific signs and tests, including laboratory tests and diagnostic imaging (x-ray, MRI, etc).